- To flourish, merge the best of modernity with the best of our ancestral foragers.
- The modern rebel resists cheap dopamine, relishes silent solitude, and cultivates a long attention span; technology is their slave, not the inverse.
- Politicians lambast identity politics, then castigate "the Democrats" or "the Republicans."
- Workaholism: the most undiagnosed psychopathology; a socially-sanctioned addiction to fill an absence of acceptance, meaning, and love.
- "Breakscreen": the moment at which a black mirror is first consulted - decreasing creativity and increasing anxiety by 50%.
- The danger of the past was too little information; the present, too much.
- Treat texts as you used to treat emails - respond, but with a respect for your time and energy.
- News confuses the anecdote for the enduring.
- By definition, in anything, half of people will be below average.
- Benevolent people approach every interaction with the possibility for a positive-sum relationship.
- Discipline in resisting the dark side of human nature, a hallmark of civilized people.
- Religion is mostly belief in belief.
- In a healthy hierarchy, power is earned and assented by those beneath.
- When people couple up, everything changes for those outside the pair.
- For race relations, MLK said it best: to judge not by the color of one's skin, but by the content of one's character. Equal, not better.
- Identity politics turns the mind to cabbage, a single-outlook perspective free of nuance.
- Fear the mob.
- Much of today’s acute political tribalism is fueled by echo chamber technology - arguable views held by both sides, each talking past each other.
- Learn history to know who sacrificed for you, and what they sacrificed for; we're living in the best of nation-state times.
- People fear mobs - and are easily enticed to join them.
- Equality of opportunity is the goal.
- Liberate yourself.
- You can tell the quality of a conversation - and connection - by how often a phone is used.
- Liberals faulter when confusing the ideal for the real.
- Too much ambition can kill your relationships.
- Some people have inevitably stressful, intense jobs (e.g. E.R. doctors, teachers at difficult schools) - they need understanding, and god help their children.
- The social cost of asshole-dom has drastically decreased with technology.
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox